Advocating for Home Funerals: Stepping it up a Notch
Early bird registration open now!
Every other year we join together in person for a home funeral conference and it’s AMAZING. Thanks to years of sustained effort and education, Home Funerals are now better known and understood. Our community is strong and connected. And these conferences are a big reason why. Whether you’re a newbie, a seasoned pro, family member, hospice worker, funeral director, or anyone in between, you’re just the one to be there with your community! Find out the top 10 reasons why you should join us!
- WHEN: September 22-24, 2017 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- WHERE: Reisterstown, Maryland (one hour north of Washington, DC)
- VENUE: Pearlstone Center, an environmentally-friendly conference and retreat center nestled in 160-acres of pasture, woods and farmland in the Maryland countryside just outside of Baltimore.
Registration is a two-part process.
1. Register for the conference, using our online form.
What a great schedule! Saturday is filled with rich, facilitated forums. Sunday is skills-based. There’s films, home funeral movie stars :), and lots of time to spend time with others. Here’s a sample of what you can explore:
- The power of home funeral storytelling in words, oral traditions, online, altars, and around our crackling bonfire
- Skills like body care basics & home funerals for pets
- Building bridges with hospices and hospitals & working with funeral directors, vital statistics, medical examiner
- Film showings: In the Parlor with filmmaker Heidi Boucher & Zen and the Art of Dying with Zenith Virago
- Taking care of yourself while helping others
- Legal issues that inform home funeral advocacy
- Creating ceremonies for home vigils, funerals & memorials
- Our awesome line-up of vendors from far and wide.
- The only Home Funeral Silent Auction in the world! Bring an item and leave some space in your luggage for your winnings.
- The Altar Art Project, which is a visual and shared remembrance of those who have passed. Bring whatever you want to honor your loved ones.
- A Before I Die chalkboard…what will you write on it?
- Under the stars, around the bonfire, for open home funeral story sharing, music and lots of listening
- …and more!