Advocating for Home Funerals: Stepping it up a Notch
Registration opens April 1st
Every other year we join together in person for a home funeral conference and it’s AMAZING. This is our 6th Biennial Conference – and this year, we’re Stepping it up a Notch. Thanks to years of sustained effort and education, Home Funerals are now better known and understood. Our community is strong and connected. And these conferences are a big reason why. Come be with us!
- WHEN: September 22-24, 2017 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- WHERE: Reisterstown, Maryland (one hour north of Washington, DC)
- VENUE: Pearlstone Center, an environmentally-friendly conference and retreat center nestled in 160-acres of pasture, woods and farmland in the Maryland countryside just outside of Baltimore.
- TO REGISTER: Registration opens April 1st, so watch this space!
Registration is a two-part process.
1. Register for the conference.
2. Call the Pearlstone Center at 443-273-5201 to book your room, today. Learn more about accommodations. <jumplink to plan your trip, rooms section>
What a great schedule! Saturday is filled with rich, facilitated forums. Sunday is skills-based. There’s films, home funeral movie stars :), and lots of time to spend time with others. Here’s a sample of what you can explore:
- The power of home funeral storytelling in words, oral traditions, online, altars, and around our crackling bonfire
- Skills like body care basics & home funerals for pets
- Building bridges with hospices and hospitals & working with funeral directors, vital statistics, medical examiner
- Film showings: In the Parlor with filmmaker Heidi Boucher & Zen and the Art of Dying with Zenith Virago
- Taking care of yourself while helping others
- Legal issues that inform home funeral advocacy
- Creating ceremonies for home vigils, funerals & memorials
- Our awesome line-up of vendors from far and wide.
- The only Home Funeral Silent Auction in the world! Bring an item and leave some space in your luggage for your winnings.
- The Altar Art Project, which is a visual and shared remembrance of those who have passed. Bring whatever you want to honor your loved ones.
- A Before I Die chalkboard…what will you write on it?
- Under the stars, around the bonfire, for open home funeral story sharing, music and lots of listening
- …and more!